Winter is almost upon us here in Australia. With 70-90% of your immune system in your small intestine, what you eat can have a big effect on your immunity. Our nourishing chicken soup is a great way to stay warm whilst nourishing and supporting your gut health and immunity.
For further recipes and tips on how to naturally boost your immunity this cold and flu season, grab your May copy of Nourish magazine, out now.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 roast or poached chicken, shredded
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 250g pumpkin, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, grated
- 100g spinach
- 2 zucchini, spiralised into noodles
- ½ bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 2 litres chicken bone broth
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add leek, garlic, thyme, celery and carrot and cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Pour in the bone broth and bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, ginger and turmeric to the saucepan and simmer for a further 15 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Add the chicken, spinach and zucchini noodles and simmer until the spinach has wilted and zucchini noodles cooked.
- Stir through the parsley and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Tip: save the chicken bones to make your own bone broth. For our how to guide on all things broth, please read here.
Recipe developed with the assistance of Min Benstead, Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and Recipe Creator for TNN. Learn more in Meet Min here.
Image by Sarah Craven Photography.