Being Winter and perfect soup weather, we have had a number of client requests for a minestrone without the pasta. We happily accepted the challenge and developed our own minestrone with quinoa! Served with a slice of our Almost Paleo Vegie Bread it makes an ideal meal any day of the week.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 200g sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 800g canned diced tomatoes
- 1 litre vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 400g canned kidney beans
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add leek and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until softened.
- Add carrots, celery, sweet potato and capsicum and sauté for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are starting to soften.
- Add the diced tomatoes, broth, quinoa, oregano and basil to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30, or until quinoa is cooked.
- Add kidney beans, zucchini and peas and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Season well and stir through parsley before serving.
Recipe developed with the assistance of Min Benstead, Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and Recipe Creator for TNN. Learn more in Meet Min here.
Image by Sarah Craven Photography.