As we recommend liver patê to many of our clients we thought that it was time that we developed our own recipe! Not to mention the fact that organic chicken livers provide us with one of the highest source of vitamin A, B12, D and K and is also a rich source of iron.
Team it with our seed crackers and you have the perfect afternoon snack.
Ingredients (Makes 1 1/2 – 2 cups)
- 200g organic chicken livers
- 125g grass-fed butter
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 2 rashers pasture-raised bacon
- ½ cup filtered water
- 1 teaspoon Broth of Life Dehydrated Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½-1 teaspoon sea salt
- Rinse the chicken livers and pat them dry.
- Melt 25g butter in a saucepan and add onion, garlic, celery and bacon. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until starting to brown.
- Add chicken livers and quickly sauté for 1-2 minutes until starting to just brown.
- Mix Broth of Life with water and add to pan along with bay leaf and remaining butter. Simmer for 3-5 minutes. Turn the livers at the halfway mark.
- Remove saucepan from heat and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and transfer the remaining ingredients, including liquid, to a food processor or blender. Add nutmeg and sea salt and process until the patê is completely smooth.
- Transfer to a glass container and top with additional melted butter to preserve the pate. Alternatively cover with plastic wrap pressed down onto of the patê mixture.
- Refrigerate for 5 hours so that it becomes firm. The pate will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Recipe developed with the assistance of Min Benstead, Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and Recipe Creator for TNN. Learn more in Meet Min here.
Image by Sarah Craven Photography.